Welcome back to the 2017-2018 school year! Thanks in large part to the lobbying efforts of NYSUT, Teacher Centers were funded this year with twenty-million dollars. As a result, our grant was increased by almost twelve-thousand dollars. This money will be put into additional classes.
Starting this year, the Center will be releasing classes by the semester. Classes will be announced ahead of time and be available on MyLearningPlan.com one month before the semester begins.
Study money for the Fall semester is due to Center Administration by September 29. The form to fill out can be found here.
Partnering with the district, the Long Beach Teacher Center will be kicking off a National Board cohort next Thursday, September 14 from 4:00p - 6:00p in the Long Beach Middle School Library Multipurpose room. As a reminder:
- The process is broken into four parts. You work at your own pace. Three years to complete. This includes writing over the summer.
- Each class is 45 hours of reflective work.
- Work is independent. You meet with a coach once a month and once over the summer.
- Thanks to a MOU with the LBCTA, these classes may be used in place of graduate credit in terms of salary advancement.
- Thanks to Al Shaker Grant, total cost of entire process will be $500 up front. Once you apply for the grant $425 is returned to you. If you do not complete the entire National Board process, you will have to repay the Al Shaker Grant for the full cost of the program (~$2500).
I look forward to the great PD this year. If you have any ideas, comments, or possible course offerings, please contact the director at email@example.com.